A Lonely and Gloomy Day at Rawal Lake


Today, Saturday 11 January 2014, is the first day that I, RMK,  woke up late as I was tired due to  my last few weeks of hectic and busy work. I did call SVZ, one of our team members, for morning photography and birding but due to the extreme cold he wasn’t feeling well. So, I pick up my gear and started driving towards Rawal lake. The moment I started driving along the Express Way, the absence of the sweet company and memories of ISLBIRDER hit me badly , as he had left for UK permanently.

I visited the marsh area to try and find some new birds, as it had been a while since I had visited the site. Sadly I couldn’t see anything but there was a WHITE-THROATED KINGFISHER, some INDIAN SILVERBILL and few RED-VENTED BULBUL.  The reeds, a habitat for the scarce Yellow-bellied Prinia and the White-breasted Waterhen had been cut back by the farmers. Walking by myself in the area , I felt sort of lonely and I decided go to the eastern side Rawal lake.

By the time I had reached the eastern shore of Rawal Lake it was midday. I could see a few LONG-TAILED SHRIKES and a beautiful SIBERIAN STONECHAT along the way. Rawal Lake was still pretty full of water with a few ponds formed by the receding water. All I could see  far in the middle of the lake were a few Gulls and Cattle Egrets; a GREY WAGTAIL and some BLACK KITES were also flying by.

Siberian Stonechat Riaz
For a moment I thought that I am at wrong place, as it used to be full of birds during the winters. Everything looked so empty to me, I picked my camera and started driving the western side of Rawal Lake.

As I reached the western side I parked my truck and started thinking of the lovely time that we had here ISLBIRDER, SVZ and myself.  The thought of loneliness was taking me over again and luckily a PIED KINGFISHER came and perched right next to me. May be he was there to ask me about the missing guys. I took some pictures half heartedly and came back to my truck, as I was too low to enjoy the lonely walk.

Pied Kingfisher Riaz
On the way back I went to a place where I will always see SPOTTED OWLETS. I parked my truck and saw two owlets a mom and a baby enjoying sun on a branch. I immediately set up the camera and got some lovely shots. Before it was getting too dark I packed up and returned home, thinking all the way YES TIME FLIES!

 
Spotted Owlets Riaz
Dear Readers I am sorry for being so emotional , as I am writing blog for the first time for ISLBIRDER , who has left Pakistan for UK permanently. I feel that life will never be the same for me in Islamabad. I would sometimes think that maybe its our images that makes the Blog worth looking at , but today I realised that I  was wrong , it was the beautiful words , sentences and commitment  of ISLBIRDER , who kept the Blog Going…. Well done ISLBIRDER , for bringing awareness to the people of our country to work for nature and wildlife.  WE will always miss you.

Popular posts from this blog

Rare Birds Found in Pakistan

The Breeding Season in the Margalla Hills & a Trip to Shogran

Kalar Kahar 62 Species