Goodbye Pakistan


It is with great regret that I have had to leave Pakistan as my three-year posting, to what is an amazing country, has come to an end. Whilst the areas I have been able to visit have been necessarily limited, my birding companions and I have made the most of what was possible. I recorded 366 species in Pakistan that included three Firsts for the country: BAR-WINGED FLYCATCHER SHRIKE, EASTERN MARSH HARRIER and LITTLE GULL. The good news is that the two most important members of our team of three, the photographers, remain in Pakistan. I will, remotely, keep this Blog going as long as they supply the dazzling photographs that have made this Blog so popular amongst birders.

My last few birds in Pakistan were impressive. Three years ago I had brought to Islamabad a water provider for birds that was supposed to hang in a tree so that our avian friends could call in for a drink. I had filled it with a sugar solution that should have attracted Sunbirds. My wife had purchased some red-coloured hair bobbles from a local haberdashery that I positioned around the base of the sugar solution feeder to fool the birds into thinking it was a large, red, nectar-filled flower. For three years only the Oriental White-eyes were fooled but did take advantage of the nectar substitute. However, on our very last day in the house we were excited and delighted to witness a stunning male CRIMSON SUNBIRD of the race Aethopyga siparaja seheriae. I had recorded Crimson Sunbirds during previous winters in Islamabad but they are still considered to be a rare winter visitor to, only the Islamabad area, within Pakistan. Sadly, neither of my photographer friends was present. However, I had obtained video footage of a male Crimson Sunbird I had seen during the winter of 2011 and if I can work out how to post a video onto this Blog I will do just that.

My final bird that was captured on film was the beautiful RUFOUS-BELLIED NILTAVA below. This species is a scarce winter visitor to Islamabad; it being an altitudinal migrant to escape the extremes of the Himalayan weather. This particular bird was captured by RMK as we walked along Trail 5 in the Margalla National Park.

Male Rufous-bellied Niltava Riaz
Following my departure from Islamabad in mid-December RMK and SVZ did get out to photograph the wildlife. They visited the Eastern shoreline of Rawal Lake and then the D12 Sector of Islamabad; an area under development but still the best place to see Long-billed Pipit in and around the city.

Common Kingfisher Sarel van Zyl
Female Siberian Stonechat Sarel van Zyl
Male Siberian Stonechat Riaz
SIBERIAN STONECHAT is a common winter visitor to Islamabad and the Eastern Shoreline of Rawal Lake and the D12 Sector are both excellent sites for this species. The unstreaked pale buff/orangey rumps on these birds are diagnostic elements of their plumage.

Brown Rock Chats Sarel van Zyl
Brown Rock Chats Riaz
Brown Rock Chat is a fairly recent colonist to the Islamabad area. Roberts described it a frequent but scarce in the Lahore and Faisalabad areas. However, it is now a common sight around Islamabad.

White-throated Fantail Riaz
The advantage to be achieved by providing water for birds in your garden. White-throated Fantail is fairly common in the Islamabad area. However, I'm not too sure about the identity of the white thing with a yellow bill. Looks more like a bird-scarer!

Indian Grey Mongoose Riaz
Spotted Owlet Sarel van Zyl
And finally, it has been great fun compiling this Blog but as I have stated many times before it was Riaz and Sarel who have been the stars of this endevour. Whilst I am watching Long-tailed Tits, Redwings and Great Spotted Woodpeckers I am seriously envious of the birding delights that the guys have in store during the next couple of winter months in Pakistan. Watch this Space!



I am badly missing my friends! Have a very happy and bird-filled New Year.

Popular posts from this blog

Rare Birds Found in Pakistan

The Breeding Season in the Margalla Hills & a Trip to Shogran

Kalar Kahar 62 Species