Dusky Eagle Owl Returned to Nest


The weather forecast for Saturday 1 March 2014 was clear and sunny. I decided that I would travel deep in to the Margalla Hills to check for new species of birds, as Islamabad’s weather is warming up and migration to north and Siberia would be underway. 

Juvenile Dusky Eagle Owl Riaz
It was late in the night that a friend and fellow photographer from WWF Pakistan called me and said that a young Eagle Owl had fallen from its nest during a first attempt at flight. I immediately changed my plans! Rarely does one get such an opportunity with wildlife photography so I made the trip to see this beauty as I had never seen one before.


Juvenile Dusky Eagle Owl Riaz
I left Islamabad for Bilawal near Sargodha early in the morning at 0530 hours and was on the spot exactly three hours of driving on the motorway. The juvenile DUSKY EAGLE OWL was lost and confused and was looking at us very sadly. A few BLACK KITE were in the area were attacking the poor chick from all sides. We took a few pictures of him and then asked a local guy to take the Dusky Eagle Owl back to its the nest. The nest was high in a tree but after a struggle lasting two hours this heroic local lad managed to put him back in the nest, within which, he reported, was another Dusky Eagle Owl chick. That was good news and we hope that the adults return to care for their offspring.

Blyth's Reed Warbler Riaz
Following the excitement, I travelled back and on the way stopped over at Kalar Kahar Lake as I thought I would see some wildfowl and other species and I spotted this singing BLYTH’S REED WARBLER.

Steppe Eagle Riaz
Steppe Eagle Riaz
However, time was on my side so I travelled across the Salt Range to a place where Raptors overwinter. I had heard that Vultures were occasionally seen in an area where chickens that die in a nearby farm are put out for the birds. I have not seen Vultures for very many years in Pakistan. As a kid I remember people shooting them for no reason when they were once common.  So I thought maybe I will be lucky and see at least one.

Female Common Kestrel Riaz
During the hour’s drive from the Lake I saw a female COMMON KESTREL, a CRESTED LARK a beautiful male GREY FRANCOLIN and a flock of STEPPE EAGLES on a mountain ridge. Unfortunately I didn’t see any vultures.

Grey Francolin Riaz
It was late in the afternoon by the time I was back at Kalar Kahar Lake and I saw NORTHERN LAPWING, NORTHERN PINTAIL, COMMON POCHARD, LITTLE GREBE, MALLARD and few BLACK-WINGED STILTS.

Northern Lapwing Riaz
Northern Pintail Riaz
Adult Little Grebe Riaz
I also saw this beautiful PURPLE SWAMPHEN in the lake during a heavy downpour.

Purple Swamphen Riaz
Guys I was busy birding the whole day but I was still missed the company of Islbirder and my friend SVZ.

Hi RMK, Islbirder here and thank you for sharing these wonderful photos and your experiences of the day. That was a very long drive to see the Dusky Eagle Owl chick but well done for persuading the local guy to climb the tree to put what must have been a struggling baby owl back into the nest. I hope you gave him some Rupees in compensation! We miss you too Mate and I am looking forward to you travelling to the UK in August 2015 where, with your help, we will show off the Birds of Pakistan to visitors at the BIRDFAIR that will be held at Rutland Water in Rutland. Take care my friend.


Popular posts from this blog

Rare Birds Found in Pakistan

The Breeding Season in the Margalla Hills & a Trip to Shogran

Kalar Kahar 62 Species