Islamabad Birder Alert a Crested Kingfisher at Rawal Lake


It’s big news for the birders and photographers of Islamabad. I was feeling lazy as, Islamabad had been cloudy for few days but when I heard the news of CRIMSON SUNBIRD in the city I couldn’t wait to pick my photographic gear. In search of the Crimson Sunbird, I left my home with two of my birding friends AF and ZR to seek out this amazing bird.

On Tuesday 23 December 2014 we started our search around 1300 hours as the sun started to appear. We searched around our Marsh Area, the southern side of Rawal Lake and around Bani Gala but couldn’t find anything, except this beautiful PLAIN PRINIA playing in the mustard fields.



Plain Prinia Riaz
After that I asked my friend to take a drive to western side of Rawal Lake hoping we may see something on that shoreline. We drove there and we found three SPOTTED OWLETs sun bathing.

Spotted Owlets Riaz
I stopped my car and we started moving in different areas in search of the Crimson Sunbird. The area was full of Red-vented Bulbuls, Red Avadavats and Prinias and my eyes were caught by this beautiful GREY BUSHCHAT.


Male Grey Bushchat Riaz
It was almost late and the sun was going down , I new a place where I had seen Flycatchers in large numbers. I stop my car in the area and asked my friend to check that place. We walked to the stream and AF shouted that here it is. My friend ZR is very passionate birder and photographer, and it was his dream to see CRESTED KINGFISHER. 

Crested Kingfisher Riaz
Islbirder, sorry Mate, you and me looked hard for two years to find a Crested Kingfisher even after hard months of searching we failed. TODAY I JUST SAW THAT GORGEOUS BIRD!

Wow, Wow and Wow again! Crested Kingfisher Riaz
It was strange feeling, we laughed and enjoyed the moment. It’s always that in the best of the times one misses the close buddies and I really missed Islbirder a lot today.

Guys, I will be away for a short while as I will be out of country for ten days. I hope that when I am back, I will share more stories, until then take good care of yourself and HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU ALL. My friend Islbirder I wish you and Mrs. Islbirder Happy Christmas from me, RMK, and Mrs. RMK.


Popular posts from this blog

Rare Birds Found in Pakistan

The Breeding Season in the Margalla Hills & a Trip to Shogran

Kalar Kahar 62 Species