Chestnut-bellied Rock Thrush in Islamabad


Please accept my apologies for updating the Blog so late. I may give many reasons and that won’t excuse ISLBIRDER and myself but I was waiting for new birds to show up and I could only find just one new bird during the whole month of February.

Anyway I had been regularly visiting the Margalla Hills and Lake View Park in search for new subjects to photograph. I am so happy that more birds are visible in the areas surrounding Islamabad; that’s what I have noted and my fellow photographers agreed with me.

ZR , my fellow photographer, is also busy with me and he is doing a wonderful job with his new toys (Camera and lens). What makes me more happy is that now , when you guys visit Lake View Park, you will see lot of Wildfowl on the lake and I share a few pictures below. Credit goes to the Himalayan Wildlife Foundation, I must say for their hard work in banning hunting at Rawal Lake. 

Eurasian Teal at Rawal Lake

Eurasian Teal in flight (if you look closely, you might spot the male Shoveler Riaz
Birds that I have seen so far in Lake View Park are Marsh Harrier, Bluethroat, Pallas’s Gull, Caspian Gull, Black-headed Gull and Little Ringed Plovers. I believe that Little Stint and Common Snipes are more in numbers but due to a lot of disturbance on Eastern shoreline, the birds are not settling down.
Female Marsh Harrier quartering the reedbeds at Rawal Lake Riaz

The Margalla Hills and, in particular, Trail 5 is a hotspot for birders and bird photographers. Lot of Pheasants, Warblers, Tits, Robins,  Red-billed Leiothrix and Bulbuls are regularly seen there.

Green-backed Tit Riaz
Grey-hooded Warbler Riaz

Orange-flanked Bush Robin bathing Riaz

Red-billed Leiothrix drinking Riaz

Rufous-breasted Accentor Riaz

White-cheeked Tit Riaz
Blue-capped Redstart Riaz
I was so lucky to find a female Chestnut Rock Thrush. It was Lifer for me and I was really excited to see her.

Female Chestnut-bellied Rock Thrush Riaz
 The season for mating (birds) will start soon and today I could hear that new songs were in the air. The weather in Islamabad is due to change but due to the rains the evenings are still chilly. This makes me happy, as most birds will stay for longer within the Margalla Hills National Park.

Wishing you all a happy Spring!

From Islbirder: Hi my friend, another great set of bird studies. The Rutland Bird Fair is being held, once again, in August 2015 and I look forward to seeing you there so that we can, together, promote the wonderful birdlife of Pakistan.

Popular posts from this blog

Rare Birds Found in Pakistan

The Breeding Season in the Margalla Hills & a Trip to Shogran

Kalar Kahar 62 Species