New Bird Species for Pakistan


I am honoured to announce a new addition to the Pakistan List of Birds. This amazing discovery was made and recorded on the 4 December 2015 by a skilful observer and photographer named Ahmad Kamal who is a new recruit to the growing band of Pakistani Birder/Photographers inspired by our own Swabi Birder RMK. Ahmad describes how he made this wonderful discovery below: 

I have recently completed BE Mechatronics from EME NUST. I have a very strong passion for motorbikes and nature. To get a dose from nature I planned to travel from Lahore to Rawalpindi via Kashmir on a motorbike. It was an epic eight-day trip. I met my guardians in Bhimber and with them I left to visit Baghsar. We stopped for Zuhr Prayer and Lunch in Baghsar.

"I had noticed earlier that this area has attracted high concentrations of birds. Luckily I had my telephoto lens with me. I observed White-throated Fantail, Rufous Treepies, Oriental White-eyes, Crimson Sunbird, Great Barbet , Blue-throated Barbet, Great (Cinereous) Tits  and Jungle Babbler. Whilst I stood under a fig tree I noticed some movement high in the canopy. I raised my camera and took a few shots, not knowing what I was capturing.  As I am short-sighted and the bird was well camouflaged I had no Idea what it was until I looked at my camera roll.

Without knowing I had captured a Great Barbet and another species of bird that I couldn't find in the field guide. I looked at it and remember saying to my Aunt "today I have seen and photographed something that I haven't even seen in the books".

When I reached Rawalpindi I looked for Great Barbet on the internet and in the suggestions for similar birds I saw Brown-headed Barbet that looked familiar. I checked my collection of photographs and to my surprise I had photographed a Brown-headed Barbet. I sent an email to Riaz Javed regarding my find and he was very supportive. He consulted his birder friends and told me that from the looks of it this is the first time this bird was seen and photographed in Pakistan. This little discovery of mine felt like giving back something to the supportive community of Pakistani Birders who are doing an amazing job in raising awareness and sharing the beautiful wildlife of Pakistan".

Pakistan's First Brown-headed Barbet by Ahmad Kamal
There are three subspecies of Brown-headed Barbet: Psilopogan zeylanicus caniceps is restricted to southern Nepal and northern India. Psilopogan zeylanicus inomatus occurs in central western and south-western India and Psilopogan zeylanicus zeylanicus, the nominate form is recorded in southern India and Sri Lanka. I have personally observed the nominate race in Sri Lanka. I believe the bird that Ahmad Kamal recorded in Baghsar, Bhimber District of Pakistan is Psilopogan zeylanicus caniceps.

Great work Ahmad and really well done on finding Pakistan’s first ever Brown-headed Barbet. Few Birders find a “National First” but you have achieved that distinction. Well done! Islbirder

Popular posts from this blog

Rare Birds Found in Pakistan

Kalar Kahar 62 Species

The Breeding Season in the Margalla Hills & a Trip to Shogran