Birding Seasons End and Begin in Islamabad


I am extremely sorry for the late write up of the blog for two reasons. Firstly, I don’t have my buddy Islbirder by my side and, secondly, life has made me busier with business; these are two very genuine reasons. Anyhow, that doesn’t mean that I have not done anything at all for the birds. A few of my fellow birders have been busy moving around Islamabad, finding new birds and sharing it with us on the face book pages, whilst I have been appearing on different TV channels to pass on my conservation messages to as many people as possible

I am so excited to share a very strange image of a bird, that was my pet for two years. It is a Canary that I bought from Afghanistan a long time back. It used to sing so many different voices but when I realised that it shouldn’t be in cage, I decided to take the Canary and its mate to Islamabad and released them in the Margalla Hills, with the hope that they may breed.
 
Blue Rock Thrush RMK
During last weekend I went to D12 and spotted a beautiful Blue Rock Thrush and took a few shots. In a flick of a second I noticed a small bird, white with a tinge of orange. It flew from my side and I started to get closer. I couldn’t get a good photograph, as it was very timid. 
 
Canary sp. RMK
I checked the images in my camera and was stunned to see, that it was the Canary that I set free three years ago. When I saw it on my big screen, I was really happy. Was it the same bird or an escaped bird from someone else’s cage? (I will look forward for the comments of Islbirder)

Nevertheless, most of the winter’s birds have returned to the mountains but the summer birds are on their way to Islamabad and some have already landed in and around the city.
 
Black-headed Jay RMK
During the last few weeks I visited different places; not the famous Trail 5 of the Margalla Hills, as it was so busy with people and the water reservoirs were full due to heavy rains.
 
Rufous-breasted Accentor RMK
Somehow, this season the number of winter visitors was reduced and as the summer came almost a month earlier than usual this year, the birds were quick to go back. I believe too much rain had shortened their stay in Islamabad.
 
Black-throated Tit RMK
Later in the year, I will be birding in the north of Pakistan, to Khagan Valley and Naran. We also have plans to visit Gilgit and Skardu and I am sure I will be able to find some new birds for the Blog.
 
Male Crimson Sunbird in winter plumage RMK
The colourful Bee-eaters and Asian Paradise Flycatchers are already flying around Islamabad and it seems that we will have a good time photographing them in their breeding plumage.
 
Black-throated Accentor RMK
I have included a few images that I took in a couple of visits to the Margalla Hills and area around Islamabad. Blue Rock Thrush and is a lifer for me. However, the Canary may be the one I will look forward to seeing on my next visit.
 
Streaked Laughingthrush RMK
From Islbirder:

Firstly, with tongue in cheek and a smile on my face I need to admonish RMK for releasing a non-native bird species into the wild. Whilst one Canary is unlikely to upset the ecology of the Margalla Hills, the introduction of alien species can, and has had, disastrous consequences elsewhere in the world. However, we can forgive him as RMK’s conscience got the better of him as he could not bear to see a bird imprisoned in a cage and he released the Canary for the best of reasons.
 
Canary sp. RMK
What is incredible, if it is the same bird, is that it has survived. One would imagine its plumage would have made it an easy target for the local Shikras.
 
Canary sp. RMK
Moving on, it was great to receive these beautiful photographs from the brilliant camera work of RMK. The photographs of the Black-throated Tit and Crimson Sunbird (still a rare winter visitor to Islamabad) are breathtakingly beautiful.
 
Male Common Rosefinch RMK
My friend, I cannot wait to see the results of your trips to Pakistan’s northern areas (I am very envious) and it would not surprise me if you found yet another first record for the country. Good Birding!
 
Black-throated Accentor RMK
 

Popular posts from this blog

Rare Birds Found in Pakistan

The Breeding Season in the Margalla Hills & a Trip to Shogran

Kalar Kahar 62 Species